SLAS publishes two rigorously peer-reviewed, MEDLINE-indexed scientific journals in partnership with SAGE Publications the Journal of Biomolecular Screening (JBS) and the Journal of Laboratory Automation (JALA). Visit the SLAS Member Center in the Exhibit Hall to meet members of the publishing team, learn more about each journal's editorial scope and find out:
- How to search, secure and manage information via JALA Online and JBS Online
- How to submit an original scientific manuscript to JALA or JBS
- How to increase awareness, discoverability and citations of your published manuscripts
- How to vote for your favorite finalist in the 2015 JALA & JBS Art of Science Contest
Sunday, Feb. 8 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Meet JALA Editor-in-Chief Ed Chow
Talk one-on-one with the new JALA editor-in-chief, Edward Kai-Hua Chow, Ph.D., of the Centre for Translational Medicine at the National University of Singapore. Find out how the Journal of Laboratory Automation can further the discoverability and success of your scientific achievements.
Sunday, Feb. 8 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Meet JBS Editor-in-Chief Bob Campbell
Visit with the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Biomolecular Screening, Robert M. Campbell, Ph.D., of Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN, and find out how you can use JBS to inform and advance your drug discovery research.
Monday, Feb. 9 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Clinical Chemistry Trainee Council Info Session
Meet the Clinical Chemistry journal's Managing Editor Sheehan Misko to learn about the Clinical Chemistry Trainee Council and what it offers young professionals.
Tuesday, Feb. 10 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
ORCID: Learn About this New Tool for Journal Authors
Meet ORCID Executive Director Laure Haak and find out first-hand what the ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) system is and how you can benefit from it. Plus, register on-the-spot for your own persistent identifier.
Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 9 and 10
SLAS Author Meet & Greets
Visit the SLAS Member Center to say hello, ask questions and get to know authors of some of JALA and JBS's most innovative research. Enjoy face-to-face conversations about their work, your work and the new ideas shaping some of today's most promising research.
Monday, Feb. 9
- 1:00 p.m. Dino Di Carlo of University of California, Los Angeles (USA), JALA reviews editor will welcome suggestions and share Search Priorities for Invited Review Authors
- 2:00 p.m. Sara Thrall of GlaxoSmithKline, Collegeville, PA (USA), author of the JBS manuscript entitled Development and Validation of Reagents and Assays for EZH2 Peptide and Nucleosome High-Throughput Screens
Tuesday, Feb. 10
- 1:00 p.m. Joseph McGivern of Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA, guest editor of the upcoming special issue of JBS on Therapeutic Antibody Discovery and Development
- 2:00 p.m. Xianting Ding of Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China), guest editor of the upcoming special issue of JALA on New Developments in Biosensing Technologies
Wednesday, Feb. 11 from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. in Room 150B
JALA & JBS Author Workshop: How to Get Your Work Published
There is no magic bullet, but there are important tips that every prospective author should know before submitting a scientific manuscript for consideration by a peer-reviewed journal. Edward Chow, PhD, of National University of Singapore (editor-in-chief of the Journal of Laboratory Automation) will share step-by-step advice on how to design and write scientific research papers more clearly and effectively to improve their chances for successful publication. Attendees will learn what editors want, what they don't want, and how reviewers evaluate manuscripts. (Grab a boxed lunch and join us!)
Monday, Feb. 9 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Room 152A
The Commercialization of Laboratory Technologies: From Ideas to Reality (presented by the Journal of Laboratory Automation)
This special session is moderated by former and current JALA Editors-in-Chief Dean Ho and Edward Kai-Hua Chow. Confirmed speakers include Katherine Wang of BRIM Biotechnology; Alicia Loffler of Northwestern University; and Jeremy Caldwell of Third Rock Ventures.
JALA: High-Throughput Imaging Technologies by Guest Editor Michael Kuo, M.D., University of California, Los Angeles (manuscript proposals due April 1)
JBS: Advances in Mass Spectrometry within Drug Discovery by Guest Editors Jonathan Wingfield of AstraZeneca and Ian Wilson of Imperial College London (manuscript proposals due April 10)
JALA: Micro and Nanotechnologies for Quantitative Biology and Medicine by Guest Editor Somin Eunice Lee of University of Michigan (manuscript proposals due Oct. 20)